All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Getting Close - Study 1



Fall is my favorite time of year and lately it sure feels like it is getting close.

I decided to take the summer off from my painting and I am really glad I did.  June started off on a very sad note with the passing of two family members.  My aunt Joanie, a wonderful person with a heart of gold passed away June 6, then just 3 days later the woman who raised me, my adopted mother, passed away.  It was sad to say good bye, but knowing both of them were no longer suffering gave me a great deal of peace.

July found me immersed in the preparations of my daughter's journey to the Miss Canada Pageant in Toronto.  In August we flew out for a 10 day stay and had an amazing time.  She brought home two crowns and two sashes, one for Miss Central Alberta and the other for Miss Congeniality.  She made me a very proud mom.  After the pageant we took a quick trip to New York City for 4 days and then back home.

It feels good to be back home and to get back into a routine.  I've spent the last couple days getting some painting done and I'm excited to spend time in my studio.

While in Toronto I spent a day at their wonderful zoo.  I must have taken over 500 photos and have many that I would like to turn into paintings.  The most exciting part of my visit was seeing the polar bears.  One in particular was quite eager to entertain and I was able to see him up close. At the hotel I decided to start a quick small study in acrylic, based on one of my photos of this amazing animal.  After leaving Toronto I still needed to spend a couple more hours on it and did so at home. I am now debating on whether this small study will turn into a large oil painting.

Getting Close - Study 1
8" x 10"
Acrylic


No comments: