All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Amethyst Lake in the Tonquin Valley


I almost gave up on this painting.  I started it at the end of 2008 while I was still attending the occasional art instruction.  While I was working on the monochromatic I was also struggling with the prospect of leaving the security of the art studio where I first learned to paint.  When I finally left the studio I put the painting away and even at one point thought of throwing it out.  I hadn't progressed very far and it was becoming frustrating; it wasn't making sense to me.  About a month ago I decided to give it another try and I'm really glad I did.  Sometimes, you just have to walk away from a painting until you are ready to take on the challenge once again.

The reference photo for this painting was taken by a good friend of mine, Vivian McKay. Viv and her family had just gotten back from a trip to the Tonquin Valley near Jasper, AB when she showed me her photograph.  They had spent a few days with their friends and owners of a back country lodge.  I thought the photo was quite beautiful with the row boat on Amethyst Lake and part of the Rampart Mountain Range in the background.  I really wanted to try painting a mountain scene and not having anything suitable in my own collection of photos, this one was perfect. When I first saw the photo I had to do a double take because I had assumed the mountains were quite close, but in reality they were quite a distance away.

What an ideal place to visit.  Many years ago my husband won a trip to the lodge and took my dad with him.  Because the lodge is so remote it is only accessible by foot or horseback. They had a fantastic time fishing and relaxing in the great outdoors.  Pristine water, crisp fresh air and the sounds of nature surrounding them; you really couldn't ask for anything better.

For more information on how you can visit this beautiful area in the Alberta rockies visit:
http://www.tonquinadventures.com/

Original Oil
20" x 30"
SOLD
Original Photo Reference Vivian McKay, St. Albert

No comments: