All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Steer

A portrait can be of anything, a person, a flower, an animal; I wanted to paint a cow.  When I started looking for a photo of a cow I came across a great photo taken by Jessica Elenbaas.  I had already decided to paint one of her horse Getter, but I couldn't get the steer photo out of my head.  She again graciously gave me her permission to paint the photo and I decided to leave it in black and white. 
It was challenging painting the steer, it is a lot different from the horse and of course entirely different from people.  The challenging part was to know if I could actually captured the steer.  Not being a farm girl, and not being around farm animals, that is where the challenge lies. When I showed the painting to Jessica's husband Ben I needed him to give me a critique, after all he is a farmer and this was his steer.  He was very helpful and seemed to genuinely like the painting.  I then showed it to my good friend Shannon, who also is a farmer and she gave me the thumbs up.  So, with two people who know their cattle giving me good reviews, I now feel confident that I captured "The Steer".

Original Oil
15" x 30"
Gallery Wrapped
For Sale
Original photo reference by Jessica Elenbaas - Lynden, WA, USA
People's Choice Winner - 1st Place - St. Albert Painters' Guild Spring 2011 Show and Sale

No comments: