All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Monday, March 6, 2017

Out of My Comfort Zone


Life is full of uncomfortable moments, many I like to avoid, but some I know actually turn into opportunites.  Sometimes, those uncomfortable things that fall into your lap are things you have to embrace and take advantage of, and not let a missed opportunity pass you by.  Well, here's an opportunity I am embracing and actually pretty grateful for.

Anyone who is an artist and is reading this blog knows all about self promotion and how important it is to get your name and art out there, you also know how nerve wracking it can be, and not all that comfortable in the least.  I have been doing this self promotion for a while now, and I admit I'm getting used to it a little bit, but it still makes me nervous and feeling silly at times.  But when opportunity knocks......

In October of 2015, I was lucky enough to win a half page ad in our local newspaper.  When I first won it I was super excited, but then I started to think about it, I didn’t really know what I was going to do with a half page, full colour ad.  Sure, as an artist there is a lot of self-promotion that has to go on, but to put an ad out there about my art just seemed weird to me, but then it dawned on me, I could use it for the new series I was planning to unveil at the Night of Artists the following March.  Well, things didn’t turn out quite the way I wanted them to and I wasn’t able to get a good start on the series due to getting pneumonia.  So the ad sat, and expired.  I called the Gazette and told them about my dilemma and they graciously extended the deadline until March of 2017.

So this is it, Night of Artists is happening March 9 to 12 and I’ve got a good start on my new series “St. Albert”, and it's time to use the ad.  Yes, it’s nerve wracking to promote yourself like this, and pretty much out of my comfort zone, but I keep reminding myself, it will get more people out to the Night of Artists and hopefully to my booth to see, and cross my fingers, to buy my art.

Barring any crazy complications my half page, full colour ad should be in the Wednesday, March 8 St. Albert Gazette. Yes, this is exciting and feels super weird at the same time, but I’m going to go with it J


Night of Artists at the Enjoy Centre in St. Albert, AB 101 Riel Drive
Thursday, March 9 - 6:30 pm to 11 - Mayor's Celebration of the Arts
Friday, March 10 - 7 to 10 - NOA 20th Anniversary Gala
Saturday, March 11 - 11 am to 4 pm - Art Stroll  7 pm to 10 pm - La Vida Loca Gala
Sunday, March 12 - 11 am to 4 pm - Art Stroll and unveiling of 150 Mural Mosaic (1:00 pm)
Tickets at www.nightofartists.com and at the door, day time hours by donation
                                                              

No comments: