All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sturgeon Crossings

Starting a new series is pretty exciting.  Up until the spring I had been painting pretty much whatever struck my fancy; it was fun to paint on a whim and so far so good.  I think I've learned a lot and feel confident that I can paint a number of subjects.

My first series "Flower Power" was painted for my first juried solo show and was a real challenge, painting 8 rather large paintings in only a few months pushed me; I am really happy with the results and the feed back.  The show has had a three month run with 3 extensions at the Northern Alberta Jubilee in Edmonton, Alberta and will continue until Wednesday of this week.  It will be on exhibition at the Southern Alberta Jubilee in Calgary March 15 to April 30, 2016.

Portraits are still my favorite subject to paint, but painting landscapes has been something I have wanted to master for a long time.  I have so much to learn and each painting I do helps me towards my goal, although mastering something sounds pretty lofty, but having a goal is a good thing.

My second and newest series is called "St. Albert"; this is the where I live, where my children have been raised, for the most part, and where my heart calls home.  It's a beautiful city with a small town feel and a great reputation for raising families.  In 2014, "Moneysense" magazine voted it the best small city in Canada to live in and in 2015, the same magazine voted it the best place to raise a family in Canada.

There is so much history in this fair city and so many landmarks to paint.  But it's not just the landmarks that capture my attention, it's the people that live here.  So this new painting is the first in this series, the first of many.  Stay tuned while I take this journey into St. Albert and the beauty that it is.

Sturgeon Crossings
20" x 24"
Oil on Canvas - Framed
SOLD

For more information about the Night of Artists XlX - "Oh Canada" show that takes place March 3, 4, 5 and 6th at the Enjoy Centre in St. Albert, or to buy ticket please visit www.nightofartists.com

1 comment:

Karen Blanchet said...

Everything you turn your hand to you do well Memory. Well done!