All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Painting a Story

I'm a painter, but I also like to think of myself as a storyteller.  Each painting I paint has an unique story, a story that I can tell you, but at the end of the day I hope that my paintings bring to life a story of your own, a special meaning that is yours to cherish, a good memory that may come to the surface and bring a smile to your face.

Each of my paintings have been inspired by something in my life.  A moment captured, a moment brought to life, and a moment I want to share with you.

My inspiration for this painting was photographer April Bartlett, who used to work for the St. Albert Gazette.  About a year before I met her I took one of the photos I used for reference for this painting. I always thought she had to coolest job and took amazing photographs.

Being a painter and photographer, it was fun watching her and the other photographers try to get in the best positions for the best shots. I had a media pass, but I was only allowed to photograph from just below the stands area of the rodeo grounds, I didn't have to try to stretch and bend myself into a pretzel to get a shot, all I ever had to contend with at the rodeo was dirt kicked into my face, a bit of mud and trying to find the best vantage point.

As with many paintings, once you start, they take on a life of their own and become more than what they began.  As I started to paint I realized that there was so much going on at a rodeo.  I remember when I took the reference photos I found it interesting watching the cowboys as spectators and began to wonder what they were thinking when they watched one of their own.  It was obvious to me that this was old hat to many and they had that "cool" look about them, as if to say "just another ride". For me, being a newbie at the rodeo, everything was exciting and I hoped it would turn out alright.

Looking at the cowboys and their colourful shirts, the boredom on some, and excitement on others, left me wondering what it was like to be doing their job, what was it like to be the clown ready at any moment to jump in and save the day?  The nerves it must take to get on a bucking horse and try to stay put for the allotted amount of time, obviously, this cowboy didn't make it, but what does it feel like when you do?  Putting the little boy in was a bit of an after thought, but it made sense to me, a little cowboy dreaming to become like one of his heroes.

This painting is the tenth painting in my series "St. Albert" and I'm sure it will not be my last rodeo painting.

March 9 to 12, 2017, I will be at the Enjoy Centre in St. Albert, Alberta with the Night of Artists for our weekend of art festivities and music.  Drop by and have a look, it's where all the action will be!

www.nightofartists.com
www.memoryroth.com

No comments: