All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Friday, February 14, 2014

Simple Moments

Sometimes it seems like it takes me forever to finish a painting, and then, it takes me forever to finish it again!!  Simple Moments has been one of those paintings.

On my daughters third birthday my niece Kim and I took a number of photos of her doing all sorts of cute things a three year old would do.  Blowing on a dandelion puff was one of those things.  Both Kim and I took a photo at the exact same time.  The first photo I used for reference was an almost three quarter turn; I painted that one when I was just learning how to paint.  It's titled "A Summer's Wish" (see below).  Kim and I could never figure out whose photo reference was whose.  I had Kim sign a contract for the first, so I am assuming this photo reference is mine.......I'm sure Kim will agree ;)  Another painting I did from that photo-opt day was "Wanna Play" (see below).

Last year at the art show "Straight From the Art" with the Night of Artists group, I showed what I thought was the finished painting.  When I got it home and hung it in my studio I realized it was far from finished and processed to work on it again.  I readjusted the background, which seemed flat and added more highlights, worked on the eyes and hair a bit more.  When I thought I was finished I again hung it back up.  After a couple weeks I realized the shadows on the dress and face were not dark enough...so I worked on it again.  I feel confident now to say it is done.....at least it better be because I just had a professional scan made of it, and once that's done, I am reluctant to change a thing.
                                                                 A Summer's Wish - 2007                    
                                                                  Wanna Play? - 2011

No comments: