All images on this blog site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner without the written permssion of the artist, Memory Roth

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kona


In September of 2006 one of my dearest friends Keri, decided to take a oil painting class.  Because we had talked about taking some sort of class together at some point in time, when she told me about this I jumped on the band wagon....even though oil painting sounded kind of boring. :)  As you can probably figure out, my view on oil painting has changed......... significantly :)

Since I have started painting I have only given a couple of paintings away as gifts.  I feel that art is such a personal choice I am reluctant to give something to someone and have them feel obligated to hang it in their home for the next 20 years (or a least when I show up for a visit ;).  I have given a painting to my step mom (you know parents, it doesn't matter what you paint, they will always hang it on the wall or post it to the fridge).  Another painting I gave for a gift was to my late sister in law Pat and my brother law Bob for their 40th anniversary.  I felt good about doing this because Bob is also an artist and Pat was very much into art and was always giving me advice. I felt that if I was going to give a painting to anyone  they would probably appreciate it the most.

Now that I have been painting for a little while longer I am feeling braver about giving a painting as a gift.  So, for Keri's birthday I surprised her with a painting of her dog.  I took this photo of Kona when she was a puppy with the intent of painting it for Keri's birthday and hoping I could keep it a surprise.

I also have a confession to make..........it's not oil......I tried my hand at acrylic......I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and I wanted to know if it would make me paint any faster.  The jury is still out regarding the medium, but my speed was definitely faster, so I may have to try this medium again.

I am very happy to give my friend, who got me started in painting, my very first acrylic painting.  Happy Birthday Keri!!..............and thanks!

Original Acrylic
10" x 14"
Private Collection
                                                        Original Photo Reference


No comments: